Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Why I came, what I hope: Voices from Open Space












Participants at the Jan. 9-11 gathering in Winnipeg were asked two questions: Why did they come? And what hopes do they have for after the event? Here are their responses. Some requested anonymity in responding.

Why I came: “I came to hear the collective heart of Mennonite Brethren church members from across Canada on this topic, in their lives and in their churches. I also came because it interests me how who is a Mennonite Brethren today is defined, and who gets to decide on the definition. As it turns out, the definition of Mennonite Brethren is all over the map, but this one issue is causing so much consternation. Because of that, a lot of people are discovering they are no longer considered to be Mennonite Brethren, and that is causing a lot of pain.”

What I hope: I hope we can reach a greater degree of understanding that builds bridges between people. The Jesus tide is to create wholeness, not disunity.” Anonymous.

*           *           *

Why I came: “There is a need for conversation in spaces where people feel don’t feel threatened just because they want to talk about this topic. There is a need for us to talk this through and wrestle with it.”

What I hope: “I hope this event gives Mennonite Brethren in Canada permission for more conversations on this topic.”

*           *           *

Why I came: “I came because there are people in my life who are very precious to me who are part of the Queer community. I want to be part of a process that integrates them fully into the Mennonite Brethren church. I also came to hear what others are thinking on this topic, and how I can help us go forward in this area. It’s also a chance for me to show solidarity with the Queer community, to put some skin in the game.”

What I hope: “I have to have hope. I don’t know how long it’s going to take, but I have to remain hopeful.” Joanne Hildebrand, River East Church.

*           *           *

Why I came: “This is an important concern, so it was a no-brainer to come. I want to be part of fostering good relations across the Mennonite Brethren conference on this topic. We all have a part to play in it.”

What I hope: “I have no preconceived ideas, although some have said this could be a milestone event. I hope leaders in the conference get over their fear of talking about this.” Anonymous.

*           *           *

Why I came: “I came because we need to have this conversation.”

What I hope: “I hope this sparks more conversations that include more people from diverse perspectives. I hope it can lead to us finding understanding as Mennonite Brethren, despite disagreements. Kevin Guenther Trautwein, pastor, Lendrum Mennonite Church.

*           *           *

Why I came: “I came because I know almost a dozen people—family, friends and colleagues—who are LGBTQ+. Knowing them has changed my view of this topic. I convinced me we need to inclusive as a church, not exclude some. I also came because I want more wisdom on this topic, and to see what I can contribute to the discussion.”

What I hope: “I hope it results in encouraging others to be more open to talking about this topic and to listen to one another without judgement—to be curious as to other viewpoints.” Anonymous. 

*           *           *

Why I came: “I came because my church is grappling with this topic right now and doing it very poorly.

What I hope: “I hope to bring back some information from this event to contribute to that discussion at my church.” Anonymous.

*           *           *

Why I came: “I want to be attentive to what God is up to at this moment, and to learn from others.”

What I hope: “I have no big hopes for Open Space. It’s unknown where this will lead. I just want to be open to what God is doing.” Ed Willms, former Executive Director of the Ontario Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.

*           *           *

Why I came: “I came because our church is currently having this discussion about whether to become affirming. We are coming up against roadblocks from our provincial conference because of that.”

What I hope: “I came for ideas about how to process this, to connect with others, and to find out what is going on across the country. I hope this event pushes the conference to be more open. If that doesn’t happen, maybe we can find a way to create a new group or network to work together.” Anonymous

*           *           *

Why I came: “My church had launched a conversation on this topic. For me, this is an opportunity to meet more Mennonite Brethren family members, learn more about the context for this discussion across the country and to be part of a community discernment process—to practice what we preach as Mennonite Brethren.”

What I hope: “I hope this will create momentum for more conversations at the provincial and national levels, create a willingness to dialogue.” Miriam Faulkes, moderator of the Elder’s Board at Jericho Ridge Church in B.C.

*           *           *

Why I came: “I am curious about what others have to say. I agree with the plea of the open letter that we need more conversation about this.”

What I hope: “I hope we can have open conversations about this topic without having the secrecy, that we can have real conversations that lead to real changes. Maybe we can be like Mennonite Church Canada and create space for churches that want to be more affirming, provide room for differences. And I hope we stop treating the Confession of Faith like it’s the Bible and using it like a cudgel against churches. And I hope Open Space will help keep up the gentle, relentless pressure on the conference.” Anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update on this blog: Time for a pause