Wednesday, January 11, 2023

“It reignited my sense of hope for church and what it can be." Final voices from Open Space













At the concluding session of Open Space on Jan. 11, participants were invited to share what the even meant to them. Below are some of the comments. All are anonymous, in keeping with the nature of the gathering. 

“I came pessimistic and cynical, and didn’t have much hope the system could change. But now I feel and more hopeful for being with people I respect and admire. There is hope for the future.” 

“I was grateful to be part of this. There are no opportunities for me to discuss this topic in other places.” 

“I was so impressed by the range and scope of the sharing. It was a real gift.” 

“Open Space was a study in consensual leadership. It’s an example of the kind of consensual leadership need desperately in the conference. I hope it can be replicated.” 

“What transpired here matters. It’s like dropping a pebble in a pond, the ripples can’t be stopped. Each voice and experience matters. Let’s not give up hope. It’s probably not about saving the institutional family, but about being the church God calls us to be.” 

“I feel so alone in my province. It was good to be with you and connect with you. Thanks to organizers, who had the vision had to organize the event.” 

“It reignited my sense of hope for church and what it can be. I was very encouraged, as a younger person. I was encouraged by the elders here, and am grateful for them, for driving this conversation forward.” 

“A question I ask myself often is what do I do with love for the Mennonite Brethren church? I can’t shake it. It would be easy to put that love someplace else, go somewhere else. But now and then I find out why love the Mennonite Brethren church, and an event like this is why.” 

“The message from here is good news for everyone. I want that to be understood by conference, and I want people to know it outside the church, too.” 

“I have to say I was inspired by young people in this room, the talents I see, their drive and creativity. It was time well spent. A good investment.” 

“I look forward to the time when more LGBTQ+ voices can be part of this conversation.” 

“I was not hopeful when I came. I was an edge person, ready to jump. I have great love for the Mennonite Brethren church, but it’s been pretty discouraging this year. But this group of people feels like my tribe. It was very different from meetings on this topic I’ve been to in the past.” 

“I do have hope. I don’t know what will happen to my church, but I know change is coming. I will do everything in my power, in a kind and loving way, to expedite that change.” 

“Given the recent history of the Mennonite Brethren conference, this meeting was absolutely necessary. It’s not been safe to share what is on your heart if it is not part of the party line.” 

“I wish this event hadn’t been necessary. I was saddened when Conference leaders said no to leading us in this conversation. When preaching, I would always pray that if this is chaff, let the wind blow it away. But if it is good seed, let it fall into good soil. I don’t know what will come of this. I pray it will be seeds that find root.” 

“We need to stop saying that the church has hurt LGBTQ+ people. It is hurting them now. My kids are the teenagers. They won’t join in the church, it’s not safe. I have to walk with them away from church. Is there space in the Mennonite Brethren church for my daughter? She is a person, she is not a topic. She is not a theology. She is a child.” 

“I’ve been deeply hurt by the words and actions of our conference leaders. You gave me a safe space to share my story; I didn’t even realize I needed to do that. It gave me a space to find healing.” 

“I’m a proud parent of a transgender child. I can share that in this space. It feels like a space that I desire to walk in.” 

“I came not feeling too hopeful, but now I feel hopeful after hearing so many stories.” 

“It is good to know there is a greater group of people, more than just people like us who are parents of LGBTQ+ people. It’s good to know other people share our experience, they are also on a journey with us.” 

“I really wanted to be here, to hear stories and voices that are dear to my heart. One word that came to me about this time together is courage; I witnessed and heard stories of courage and that courage really humbled me. I want to have more courage.” 

“I am proud fully affirming mother of Lesbian daughter. I’ve only said that out loud one other time.” 

“I came as an outsider. I feel God’s love and presence here. It gives me hope for my grandchildren, that one day they can express themselves fully in the church.” 

“I came with few expectations. I’m surprised how personally I was impacted. I am a mother of two queer children. My church doesn’t know my story. But being here has given me courage to tell it.” 

“I made a commitment to myself to put a note on my fridge to hold you all in prayer every day for a minute, and those beyond the circle who are struggling. As for the future, I was pessimistic before I came, but now I sense a great mystery of something bubbling and gurgling, something bigger than I thought. Now I amexcited to see how that will unfold.” 

“I believe God speaks when God’s people speak and listen to one another. The spirit of God was  present in this group the last three days. I don’t know what next steps are. I want to commit to following Lordship of Christ whatever the cost is.” 

“I never experienced anything like this at an Mennonite Brethren gathering before.” 

“I hope as a result of this we have strength to take stories back to our communities, to get louder as allies and friends, and for all in marginalized communities.” 

“In Romans 5, Paul is trying to encourage church in Rome who are suffering. There is hope, he says, adding that suffering produces endurance, endurance produces character, and that produces hope. I’ve seen it my own life, and in the lives of others. And hope doesn’t disappoint. There is a pathway forward.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update on this blog: Time for a pause