Monday, January 8, 2024

The Mennonite Brethren and me: River East Church awaits the January 20 special session vote on expulsion









Forty-nine years ago, I became a member of the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.

It was in St. Catharines, Ont. I was 18. I had recently emerged from a difficult and traumatic experience in the Jesus movement.

Feeling lost and hurt, I stopped going to church. Then a friend said there was a local pastor who was good at talking to people in my situation.

One day I went to his church and simply wandered inside. (There were no locked doors and doorbells/intercoms in those days.) I knocked on his office door and said I needed to talk. He dropped whatever he was doing and invited me in.

The church was Grantham MB Church, and the pastor was Aaron Schmidt. (Thanks, Aaron!) 

After our meeting, he invited me to visit his church. And that’s how I became Mennonite Brethren.

At the time, I didn’t know it was a Mennonite Brethren church. In fact, I knew almost nothing about Mennonites at all. I couldn’t tell an MB from a GC from an EMC or any other acronym.

My becoming Mennonite Brethren had nothing to do with the Confession of Faith, the peace position, which mode of baptism was best.

It was all about a pastor and congregation saying: “You are welcome here.”

Over time, I found a home in the denomination, being part of the Grantham, Elmwood (Winnipeg) and River East congregations. 

I graduated from Mennonite Brethren Bible College, was associate editor of the MB Herald for a year, and served a year with Mennonite Brethren Missions/Services (now Multiply) as a writer.

Later, during the financial and other fiascos of the Sea-to-Sea and Multiply years, including its movement away from traditional Anabaptism and a community-style of decision making to a more top-down Reformed direction, the Conference and I had a falling out.

But as I like to say, I never left the MB Conference. It left me.

In two weeks, all of that will be history. On January 20, I will cease to be a member of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.

That’s when my congregation, River East Church, will be expelled from the Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba (MBCM) at a special session for its stance on LGBTQ+ people and affirming of same-sex marriage.

Unless, that is, something completely unexpected happens and it fails to get the over two-thirds of the votes needed to keep it in.

That is very unlikely.

I hope to attend that special session as a reporter, to be present when my membership in the denomination is ended.

There’s no guarantee I will be able to; when Jubilee Mennonite Church was expelled in March 2023, I was not allowed to attend as media.

(Not the first time that has happened; I have been prevented from attending an online meeting in B.C., and I’ve been told someone was dedicated to watching to see if I attended other online Mennonite Brethren conference meetings.)

Either way, I will provide a report about the event—even if I have to depend on interviews with those who attended it. (As I have done in the past.)

But after that? I’m not sure whether I will keep reporting about the topic of LGBTQ+ in the Canadian Mennonite Brethren Conference. After all, I will no longer be a member of that Conference.

But even if I stop writing about the topic on this blog, it won’t go away. At least three other Mennonite Brethren churches in Manitoba are exploring the subject of LGBTQ+ welcome and inclusion. I’m sure it is on the agenda for other churches across Canada, too.

As for the special meeting itself, here is the resolution delegates will be voting on:

We, the Assembly of Congregations of the Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba, do resolve that, unless River East Church returns to an active embrace of MBCM member church expectations by May 30, 2024, River East Church’s official membership in the Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba will end effective May 31, 2024.

We finally resolve that should River East Church’s MBCM membership end as of May 31, 2024, MBCM extends an ongoing invitation for REC to return to MBCM if they choose to embrace and live in accordance with our shared member church expectations.

MBCM has posted some materials about the resolution you may want to read.

Special Assembly: Why Are We Here

MBCM Board Letter to River East Church (REC), notice of Special Assembly

Timeline of Process with REC

Contextualizing the MBCM PFLT’s Theological Report regarding REC

PFLT Report: Theological Concerns for REC

REC’s Talking Points

In The Margins: Listening to other cultures and ethnicities within MBCM

For more information, including about eligibility for voting delegates, visit https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/mbcm-special-assembly-2024-tickets-775818482967

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Mr. Longhurst for your amazing work on this blog. Many of us are walking difficult faith journeys as we deconstruct our childhood beliefs and try to find a new way forward. Your blog has helped my family to move forward with hope that there are church families where we could be at home again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    Thanks so much for your work on this blog. And thanks for telling your story.
    It seems like you are sounding somewhat resigned to the upcoming vote not being in favour of River East remaining part of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. I must admit that I am also worried that could be the outcome as well. It is very disappointing because as someone whose family involvement in the Mennonite Brethren Church goes back essentially to its beginnings in the 1860's/1870's, I am so bothered by people telling me if I don't like the decisions the leadership is making that I should just leave. The recent metaphor the leadership is using is the cuckoos invading the nest - well I'm quite certain that my family qualifies as some of the builders of the nest.
    In any case, whatever the outcome of the vote, I applaud all those working for a more inclusive, more just and loving world. That is the kind of mission Jesus calls us to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you continue the blog, John. Your subtitle is: "A blog dedicated to reporting about the topic of LGBTQ+ and the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches from a journalistic point of view." This is a worthy project whether or not you are MB. REC presently has an important part on the stage but other players will step forward while REC will be in the wings. The drama is far from over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you John for your tireless work on behalf of all those who want a more loving and accepting church! You are an advocate, an ally and a voice for sexual minorities who have been excluded by the majority of the population - including the religious. Bravo! It takes courage, perseverance and a heart for persons who have for too long been excluded because they won’t conform. Well, I joined the non conforming minority, embracing the model of early Anabaptists who were willing to pay a much steeper price for their compassionate convictions. Thank you, thank you John! And may more pastors like Aaron Schmidt rise up who are willing to take the risk of making time for people who have been hurt and abused by bad religion! it seems like the opportunities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learned last night that the decision to exclude you has been made. Sorry it went that way. That's not OK with me. You should be there on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Update on this blog: Time for a pause