Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Why does this blog seem one-sided?










 

A friend recently wondered why, if I call this blog a journalistic approach to reporting about LGBTQ+ and Mennonite Brethren, I don't quote the "other side."

It's a fair question. Others might be wondering, too.

First off, the blog is new. I haven’t had much opportunity to do very much reporting on it. As time goes by I will hopefully add more of those voices.

Second, I always extend an invitation to conference leaders to provide comments. In the case of BCMB, leadership has almost always not replied or declined to comment when contacted. 

In the case of Cedar Park, I also extend an invitation from someone who could be said to be part of the "other side.” To date, nobody from that group has accepted my invitation to comment. 

So, yes, things can appear a little one-sided. But even then I am employing a journalistic frame of reference by making sure I only quote people close to the situation. 

Sometimes, these people choose to remain anonymous (for fear of misunderstanding or reprisal). But I can guarantee they are real people.

If I do offer an opinion, I will make sure I label it as such.

But all this might still leave some people wondering why I am writing about this topic at all. There are several answers to that question.

One reason is there is really isn't another place in the Canadian MB world for this to get a hearing. The CCMBC’s official publication (the MB Herald Digest, an online publication), is not likely do it. 

Another reason is when people feel powerless to be heard they sometimes reach out to journalists—especially when they feel they have exhausted all other ways of being listened to.

It can give them comfort to know someone is listening to their concerns, and taking them seriously. Or, as one member of Cedar Park Church put it, my doing this is "a consolation" to him.

It can also cause their concerns to be heard by church leaders; sometimes seeing issues posted publicly can lead to response and action.

Also, posting things like this can help to shine a little light on actions some might prefer few knew about. It is a reminder to leaders that someone is watching. 

Finally, one day a researcher will want to write a book about Canadian Mennonite Brethren and LGBTQ+. They can then turn to this first rough draft of history for information.

If there was a safe place for LGBTQ+ people and their allies in the MB Conference to talk about this topic, this blog wouldn’t be needed. 

Until then, I intend to keep writing.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your question! Journalism is not a perfect art. I am doing the best I can considering it's often hard to get people from the Conference to talk to me. (And I have been forbidden from attending some public meetings on the topic.)

    In the case of River East, there are a number of posts that contain that information from the church. (See https://timetotellcanada.blogspot.com/search?q=River+East)

    With regard to the special meeting and beyond, the Manitoba MB Conference and people at River East have asked me not to publish additional posts about that or about this topic before the January 20 meeting due to the sensitive nature of the issue. I have agreed not to do that. Plus, I wasn't able to attend the meeting so didn't have a way to write a report that was credible.

    As for the documents you mentioned, I also have them. But it is not up to me to publish them or disseminate them more widely; that is the responsibility of the conference.

    As it pertains to the journalistic goal of this blog, I contrast it with the MB Herald Digest, which is the main way the national Conference can communicate with members. There has not been much about this topic in its (online) pages. The last time it appeared there was in a response from Ken Esau to two questions I raised. (https://timetotellcanada.blogspot.com/2023/12/questions-for-director-of-national.html)

    I also am happy to publish items from Conference officials and others that are opposed to LGBTQ+ affirmation and welcome--and have done so. (See Ken Esau article above.)

    If you have additional questions or comments, feel free to post them.

    ReplyDelete

Update on this blog: Time for a pause